Norris Castle development branded ‘millionaires’ playground’ as local council considers bid

East Cowes City Council has branded the abandoned Norris Castle development a playground for millionaires.

At its meeting last night (Thursday), councilors voted unanimously to oppose the major development of the Grade I listed building into a five-star luxury hotel, by the Norris Castle Estate Group.

Opposition from residents
Townspeople have also raised concerns about the plans, raising issues such as proposed access to the site via the East Cowes Esplanade, increased traffic, overdevelopment of greenfield sites and housing proposals .

Concern over new developments
Cllr Sharon Lake said after a visit to the castle she could not believe what she saw as it was not the image of dilapidation the council had been fed.

Cllr Lake’s biggest concern, however, was potentially allowing access to the proposed accommodation on the Springhill estate, next to Norris Castle, and the developers were then moving away, which would open up the landlocked site to further development. other residential developments.

Palin: ‘They’re going to destroy the estate and turn it into a playground for millionaires’
Cllr Cameron Palin said while he supported the protection and restoration of the castle, he feared the plans could cause lasting damage.

He and other councilors questioned the viability of the project and the use of the public plaza to access the site, saying:

“They want access to Norris Castle and Springhill via our plaza. It’s so they can access their multi-million pound apartments, their billionaire homes and the luxury spa that you and I will never see, let alone use.

“They are going to destroy the estate and turn it into a playground for millionaires. I cannot support this app at all.

Love: “There is room for something, but it has to be scaled”
Cllr Karl Love said it looked like the developers didn’t listen to what the residents said.

He said,

“I would accept a small boutique resort in this area, something that wouldn’t cause the kind of damage that this development would.

“There’s room for something there, but it has to be at scale.”

Advice from a consultant
Martha James of Plan Research, planning consultant for the ECTC, advised the city council to oppose all but two proposals on which it would have to vote.

Ms James questioned the lack of detail and said she did not believe the Isle of Wight Council would support the bid, in its current form, unless there were major changes.

An official ECTC comment will be submitted to Isle of Wight Council.

See the schedules
To consult the plans (21/02437/FUL and 21/02438/LBC), and comment on them, you can consult the town planning register. Comments can be submitted until April 8.


This article is from the BBC’s LDRS (Local Democracy Reporter Service) program, in which News OnTheWight participates. Certain modifications and additions may have been made by OnTheWight. Ed

Picture: © Wellington Estates

Comments are closed.