The English coach isolates himself, outside the Sydney test

England coach Chris Silverwood will miss the Ashes’ fourth test in Sydney after the Covid-19 outbreak in the touring team’s camp has risen to seven.

Silverwood woke up to news Thursday that he had been identified as a close contact, after a family member on the tour contracted the virus.

The under fire England coach returned a negative result in the latest round of testing but will remain in Melbourne and go into self-isolation for 10 days.

With the Sydney test starting on Wednesday, he is expected to be unavailable for any game as England look to regroup after dropping out of the series 3-0 in less than 12 days of cricket.

Batting coach Graham Thorpe is expected to take over as England head coach in the meantime as his cricket team are now torn apart by the outbreak.

Bowling coach Jon Lewis and spin bowling coach Jeetan Patel are said to have remained in Victoria, along with strength and conditioning coach Darren Veness.

The latest case has raised fears that the epidemic will develop again in the English camp.

A member of the family group felt unwell the night of Boxing Day and rapid tests the next morning showed a positive case.

The entire tour was then quickly tested on the morning of the second day with all players returning negatives but a total of four cases found on the tour.

These four results were then confirmed by PCR testing later that night, providing two more cases in non-playing members of the group.

Officials continue to keep their fingers crossed that the virus has not spread to the squad of players.

England players are being tested daily under a new regime introduced following the first positive case with the rest of the series remaining under some threat.

England players are expected to share a chartered flight with the Australians to Sydney on Friday, before they all stay at a hotel reserved exclusively for groups.

Cricket Australia is adamant that the Sydney test can go as planned, despite the rapid rise in the number of cases in the city and the outbreak in the English camp

Comments are closed.